Get the Most out of Herbs and Spices
Make your herbs and spices last longer and get most out of them. Here are a few things to consider when using herbs:
- Store dried herbs and spices in a cool, dark place away from draft to keep their flavors. Be sure to use them within a year.
- Use fresh herbs when available. They are most flavorful and effective in that condition.
- Fresh or dried herbs and spices will have more impact when added to cold dishes just a few hours before serving time.
- To maintain the flavors or whole spices, slice or grind them just before use.
- Dried and fresh herbs differ in quantity when used. As such, always remember this equation: 2 teaspoons of fresh herb=3/4 teaspoon dried herb.