Uses of Lemon and Lime
Lemons and limes have lots of uses inside
and outside the kitchen. Here are a few practical tips on how to "maximze" their
- Six medium lemons yield 1 cup of juice; 1 medium lemon
produces 3 tablespoons of juice or 3 teaspoons of grated peel.
- Six to eight medium limes yields 1/2 to 2/3 cup of juice;
one medium lime equals about 1&1/2 tablespoons of juice and 1&1/2 teaspoons of
- In most recipes, lime juice can be substituted for lemon
- Squeeze lemon on avocado and potato slices to prevent
- Clean copper with a paste of lemon juice and salt; rinse and
- Rub hands with a lemon wedge to remove fish, onion and
- Shine piano keys or other ivory objects with half a lemon or
a lemon-salt paste; rinse with a clean, wet cloth, then buff.
- When cooking pasta without salt, squeeze lemon juice into
the boiling water to add zip.
- Vegetables come alive with a squeeze of lemon instead of
- Brighten hair with a strained lemon juice-warm water rinse;
rinse again in clear water.