In the past, malunggay recipes were limited to tinola (malunggay with chicken), coconut based recipes (mongo or squash), and a few others. Now, there are 101 ways to cook malunggay- from desserts such as malunggay ice cream and polvoron to breakfast recipes like malunggay pancake, pandesal and noodles. Beverages such as malunggay juice and milk shakes have become thirst quenchers!
The wonders of malunggay go beyond food. It improves lactation, heals sores and wounds, reduces swelling and eases constipation. Its calcium, magnesium and potassium content prevent hypertension. Calcium builds strong bones and teeth, promotes muscular function and blood clot, and helps maintain heart rhythm. The iron and vitamin C in malunggay prevent anemia.
Be a malunggay advocate. Plant a malunggay tree and be amazed by its benefits.
Make your own lumpia wrappers from malunggay! Here’s you Malunggay Wrap Recipe.
What you need:
1 cup malunggay leaves
4 cups water
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
2 pieces eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons oil
What to do:
• Blend malunggay leaves and water. Strain. Set aside.
• Combine dry ingredients.
• Add eggs, oil and malunggay water gradually.
• Mix well and strain.
• Cook ¼ cup of the mixture in heated teflon pan.
• Remove wrapper when side starts to peel off pan (no need to turn wrapper).
• Makes approximately 24 wrappers.
• Wrap your favorite lumpia filling with this green wrapper.