Tips for Great Salads
Here are some tips for that great salad:
- Select greens that are crisp and free of discoloration. Iceberg lettuce and cabbage should be firm and solid.
- Wash greens thoroughly in cool water. Pat them dry with a clean towel or paper towel to remove water. Store in a covered container or plastic bag and refrigerate at least one hour before serving to crisp the greens. Place a piece of paper towel in the bottom of the container or bag to absorb excess moisture.
- For iceberg lettuce, put out the core with a paring knife. Alternatively, grasp the head in your hand and hit the core area against the countertop; lift out the core. Rinse the head under running water and drain core side down.
- Just before serving, tear, do not cut, the greens into bite-size pieces. Cutting greens with a knife will turn edges brown with time.
- Allow greens to stand at room temperature no longer than 15 minutes before serving.
- Toss greens with the dressing and serve immediately or place greens in a salad bowl and pass the dressing at the table. Adding too much dressing will make a salad soggy.
- Pasta, rice and vegetable salads should chill for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.